Fall… In Love With Florida’s Emerald Coast
It’s coming up on the fall season, which is a surprisingly good time to search for Florida vacations. The Florida Panhandle’s Emerald Coast has been known for a long time as a much-anticipated SPRING Break destination. But with the onset of some school districts across the country turning into year-round or nearly year-round schools, there is now another big school break usually in September or October, called FALL break, where the kids and families delightfully get another chance for a meaningful family trip.
One of the best reasons the fall is an excellent time to visit the Florida Panhandle is because the weather is cooler, breezier and simply amazing. It’s not so hot! Temperatures begin to drop, making it much more enjoyable to stay out on the beach longer and play or soak up some rays. As the afternoon approaches, the Gulf breeze picks up and there is hardly anywhere else more enjoyable.
You can also experience the fall value season. The fall has always been a time you could enjoy the beach without the inflated cost of the “peak season” summer months, but it used to be that you’d have to miss school and cut your vacation short to make it work. Now with these new fall breaks established across the country, it’s easier to partake in the deals and offerings of non-peak times. Condo-World offers resort specials on Florida beach properties in Panama City Beach, 30A, and Destin. Call one of the travel experts on staff or go online and they will get you into the vacation rental that will give you and your family an experience to last a lifetime without breaking the bank.
This area is a popular drive destination as states such as Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and New Orleans make their way for a beach getaway. Even further west to Texas and north to Ohio they love to drive to the beaches of Destin, South Walton & Panama City Beach. That being said, there are many more drive-ins than plane rides for fall travelers, therefore the airlines are also holding discounts for the fall. You could check out Destin-Fort Walton Airport (VPS) or Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport (ECP) for their fall deals to this magnificent area and save the driving for some other time!
Cool fact: Did you know that with the onset of fall, in Panama City Beach, along 30A and in Destin, the sun begins moving over the Gulf to create a breathtaking picturesque gulf-view sunset or sunrise? In this area, the sunsets are spectacular and a must see when you visit regardless of the time of year. However, the sunsets are wow-provoking and especially mesmerizing when the sun sets over the water. What’s even better is you can see it along the Emerald Coast from the balcony of your Condo-World beach front condo or Destin beach house. In the summer months (peak season) the sun rises and sets more true west, so when you’re on the beach it’s more to the side; still amazingly beautiful, especially from the bays or harbors. But as fall & winter approaches, the sun moves southward and rises and sets over the water in perfect view from the beach. Sometimes you can spot what’s called the “green flash” most easily seen when the sun sets over water. This is a greenish light that illuminates at the very tail end of the sunset, just before the sun disappears… don’t blink or you may miss it! It’s a true sight to see especially when you are sipping a specially made beach drink relaxing in your beach chair with your toes in the sand.
Fall break has become a more active time and resorts, restaurants and other venues are beginning to plan extra events and activities just the same as they do for summer and spring break. The cooler temperatures make it a popular time for festivals so we are listing a few of the “biggies,” but you will want to check back frequently because more will definitely be sure to surface.
As if you needed more reason to come to the beach, our wine festivals are some of the largest and successful in the nation, but there’s not only wine festivals, check it out!
- 40th Annual Destin Seafood Festival Oct. 5th – 7th with multiple stages of live music and local restaurants showcasing their succulent seafood. Also kicks off the month long Destin Fishing Rodeo with nightly weigh-ins on the Destin Harbor. A really cool Destin tradition.
- Bloody Mary Festival Oct. 6th at the Market Shops at Sandestin. Local restaurants compete while a blind panel of judges mingles among the crowd sipping and critiquing different lavish Bloody Marys. Live music and a very fun event!
- 42nd annual Boggy Bayou Mullet Festival Oct. 19th – 21st country music festival and carnival in Niceville, FL
- Rosemary Beach Uncorked 2018, Saturday Oct. 13. Rosemary Beach is a unique, quaint and prestigious community along 30A very close to Panama City Beach. Benefitting Habitat for Humanity of Walton County, FL.
- 11th annual Baytowne Beer Festival Oct. 12th & 13th The Village of Baytowne Wharf is located inside The Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. This is a very fun and festive event.
- 2nd annual Harvest Wine & Food Festival Oct. 25th – 27th is a Destin Charity Wine Auction event which benefits children in need. Complete with celebrity Winemaker Dinners to VIP events and wine walkabouts and seminars.
- Noche De Los Muertos Oct. 28th at Caliza Pool in Alys Beach, another quaint and loved community along 30A. It’s a Halloween party that’s rockin’ with live DJ mixin’ dance beats. Costumes are required and these attendees go all out. Adults only.
- One Harrison Food + Wine Festival Nov. 2nd – 3rd offers a variety of flavors and experiences unique to Panama City’s community. Craft beer and cocktail experts and a diverse lineup of musical acts and exciting activities for all to enjoy.
- 28th annual Seaside Seeing Red Wine Festival Nov 8th – 11th has grown to be a sell-out event. It is recognized as one of the “Top 10 Can’t Miss Fall Wine Festivals,” by Fodor’s Travel. This is one of the biggies that bring wine enthusiasts from as far as California!
- Mattie Kelly Arts Foundation’s Concerts in the Village fall schedule kicks off Sept. 13th every Thursday night through Oct. 11th. Concerts start at 7pm. Bring your picnic basket with whatever you like, wine, beer or sodas and your lawn chair and enjoy kicking back relaxing and enjoying a concert at the outdoor amphitheater in the heart of Destin, FL. Tables can also be pre-reserved and there are food trucks and beer & wine stations if you prefer not to carry your stuff with you.
- Festival of the Arts at Mattie Kelly Village is Oct. 27th & 28th, a 2 day art exhibit with live music and food as well.
This is a fractional list of fall events in Florida from Panama City to Destin. Ongoing there are many other places to hear live music, enjoy dinner specials plus plenty of happy hours along the gulf coast. The fall may become your favorite time to visit once you give it a try. There’s really a lot going on and like we said, there are fall deals and specials to help you have the time of your life and Condo World is here to help!